Black Mold Symptoms & Mold MistakesIf you suspect that you're dealing with a toxic black mould problem, it's imperative that you avoid the some common and costly mistakes.
Ignoring Black Mould Symptoms - Be concerned about possible mold problems if one or more occupants is suffering from unexplained health problems such as an ongoing itchy eyes, bloody nose, sinus problems, headaches, nasal congestion, runny nose, skin rashes, skin sores, coughing, breathing difficulties, difficulty in remembering things and in thinking clearly, feeling disconnected from the world around you, and/or chronic fatigue.
Please remember that some occupants may experience black mold health symptoms, while others may have none, with all living or working in the same mold-infested area. People differ significantly in their sensitivity to mold.
Ignoring Mould Clues in the House - You contribute big-time to becoming a mold victim when you ignore roof leaks, plumbing leaks, sewer line leaks, water stains on ceilings, the indoor smell of mold, visible mold growth, high humidity (60% or more to drive mold growth from humidity alone), a wet or damp basement, and a wet crawl space.
Assuming There Is No Mould Problem Because Of No Visible Mould Growth - The worst mould infestation problems are often the ones you cannot see inside floors, ceilings, walls, basement, attic, crawl space, and the heating/cooling equipment and ducts.
Airborne mold spores are invisible to the eye, very light, and are easily carried in air current movements or in the air flows of your heating/cooling system to mold cross-contaminate your entire house from just one hidden mold problem.
Use PRO-LAB do-it-yourself to mould test the air of your basement, attic, all rooms, and the outward air flow from each heating/cooling register for the possible presence of elevated levels of airborne mold spores, in comparison to an outdoor mold control test.
Use a hidden moisture meter to scan all walls and floors for hidden water problems. Use a fiber optics inspection device to check for mold growth inside wall, floor, and ceiling cavities.
Assuming That A New Home Is Mould Free - Today's new homes often come with built-in mold infestation problems because:
Assuming That A Dried Wet Area Is Now Mould Safe - Mold needs moisture to grow and to multiply as it eats your home building materials and personal possessions. This moisture can come from high indoor humidity, roof leaks, siding leaks, and plumbing leaks.
If mold spores and mold colony growth run out of moisture, they do NOT die. Instead, they become dormant, and can wait millions of years for access to high humidity or a future water intrusion.
Dormant mold can make mold-sensitive persons sick. Even the smell of dormant mold can make some people very sick.
Using Chlorine Bleach To Kill Mould - Do not use ineffective chlorine bleach to try to kill mold growth and mold spores. Bleach is too weak even when freshly manufactured to kill mold. Bleach that sits on store shelves and in your home continually gets ever weaker over the passage of time. In addition, read the manufacturer's usage directions on the bleach container. The manufacturer does not recommend its use to kill mold. Bleach is NOT an EPA-registered fungicide. If you want effective mold kill, use EPA-registered mold fungicide.
Using Other Ineffective Products To Kill Mould - Regular paint, paint containing a mildicide element, any paint, Lysol, ammonia, and other household cleaners and disinfectants. Painting over a mold problem does not solve it - it only hides the problem temporarily and gives the mold something delicious to eat: the paint itself.
Contact us for a FREE mold assessment at 1 888 455 1476 - 416 804 1215